Address: 15 Downie Avenue, Belgravia, Harare Zimbabwe
Envision Zimbabwe is a conflict transformation and development women's organisation working to create various mediums and forums for women from different backgrounds to be able to engage their male counterparts in research, policy and strategy development.
Envision was set up following the election turmoil in 2008 which caused worsening political violence, a breakdown of infrastructure and a nationwide outbreak of cholera. Its aim is to bring diverse groups together to lead their own development. Envision mobilises women's groups, interfaith groups and other community groups to take control of their own lives and the future of their communities.
The organisation maintains that there is a strong link between conflict, security and development, and thus there is a need to work for comprehensive and a holistic approach. They focus on engaging all levels of society including individuals, community leaders, and institutions with power and those with a role in policy formulation. Therefore Envision focuses on both grassroots engagement as well as national level engagement with key government institutions and figures.
Envision carry out a wide array of activities to encourage mobilisation, which include:
- Envision has set up women's groups to lead community clean-ups, to work with engineers to find long term solutions, and to meet with the local council to call for better provisions.
- Envision creates focus groups to inform every step of their progress.
- Envision has developed a peace education syllabus which it plans to take nationwide to reach all young people to reverse the culture of violence in the future.
- Envision is also working with the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) in Conflict Transformation trainings. The police have welcomed the programme and a number of training workshops have taken place.
- Envision carry out a dialogue programme which holds community dialogue meetings between communities, where communities engage on peace issues.The dialogue meetings are also used to discuss issues such as water and sanitation in the communities. Through these dialogue meetings Envision has supported important water and sanitation activities.
Last updated: June 2015