The Fédération des Unions de Groupements Paysans du Niger (Federation of Unions of Farmers Groups of Niger, Mooriben) is a coalition of 30 agricultural unions in Niger. Established in February 1993, Mooriben works to improve the lives of the agricultural communities it serves. Priority areas include conflict prevention, food security, and development. Almost 60,000 individuals are members of Mooriben, from 1,500 groups.
To achieve its goals, Mooriben has set three specific objectives that correspond to its main areas of activity:
- To improve and expand economic services for its members;
- To defend and promote the rights and interests of members and the farming community;
- To strengthen the organisational framework of the network.
- Access to microcredit;
- Support for improved food production;
- Disaster risk reduction;
- Prevention and resolution of conflict between agricultural communities; and
- Representation of agricultural communities in policy-making.
Last updated: September 2014