Address: Bolé SEMA 93 logements F15 BP E 2453 Bamako
Phone: +223 2020 68 20
ORFED "Organisation for reflection, training and education for democracy and development") is based in Bamako. Since 2004 this group of development professionals has contributed to the consolidation of democracy in Mali.
Its mission is to:
- Improve the knowledge of the population on issues of decentralisation and the responsibilities of different parties
- Improve the capacity of the different actors involved in decentralisation to balance and carry out their roles and responsibilities
- Consolidate social dialogue in local communities to promote democracy in a culture of peace
- Develop community economic initiatives and strategies for resource mobilisation towards local communities
Since 2007, ORFED has worked in partnership with the International Christian Service for Peace, EIRENE, based in Germany, to promote peace and non-violence in Mali through the development of a non-violent conflict management project, GENOVICO, which covers much of the Mali. Since its inception, its major achievements include:
- Organising a regional forum on peace culture and non-violence held in Kayes, Koulikoro, Sikasso, Ségou, Mopti, Gao and Bamako.
- Supporting initiatives to promote local cultures of peace with a dynamic, flexible fund
- Monitoring regional missions and developing expertise in non-violent conflict management for civil society actors
- Conducting a legal study on conflict statistics in Mali, as well as on traditional mechanisms for conflict management
It has also organised:
- Workshops around the concept of “dynamism,” regional peace and non-violence.
- A space for reflection and adaptation of the various tools of conflict management
- Workshops to define the process of expertise building in conflict management and non-violence
- A regional workshop on how to capitalise on field experience in mediation, with the participation of delegates from Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso.
- Research on the legal framework and institutional mediation and reconciliation in Mali
- Training for ORFED staff in non-violent conflict management, together with local project partners, including at a workshop organised by the Association of journalists for peace and non-violence in Segou, funded by Unesco.
Last updated: September 2016