Address: R 404, 3rd Floor, Lecture Theatre Building, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Phone: (+880 2) 9661920-59
The Microgovernance Research Initiative (MGR) is a multidisciplinary research group established in collaboration between faculty members and researchers from the Dhaka University and beyond. MGR takes an innovative micro-level approach to studying violence, conflict and governance in Bangladesh. MGR is primarily interested in the microanalysis of governance and concentrates both on the microfoundation of conflict and violence in the society and the impact on the local communities.
MGR believes that, at the fundamental level, the key challenges originate from individual behaviour and how people interact with society and their context. Yet most governance research and policy focuses on macro perspectives and MGR wants to redress this balance.
MGR's analysis intends to compare different geographical case studies of Bangladesh and regional countries. MGR functions as a research, debate and education platform on micro-level issues of governance, conflict and violence. The research centres around three broad crosscutting themes: governing violence, risks and threats; governance in pluralism; and governance in resistance.
The initiative’s main objectives are to:
- Study and conduct research on issues related to governance, conflict and violence;
- Provide a forum for exchange of ideas and knowledge among researchers, policy makers and relevant organisations; and
- Engage in and undertake training programmes for communities and other stakeholders.
MGR considers violence is not merely an output but a part of the process of conflict. So MGR is more interested in research, advocacy and engagement activities related to the process of conflict and violence. The organisation believe conflict or violence is not distant from the society; it has microfoundation within the society. And successful transformation require integration of micro-level actors, causes and triggers.
The organisation is based on Dhaka, Bangladesh. It has different sub-area of work in the rural districts of Bangladesh. They are also part of different national and international networks and organisations. For instance, MGR collaborates with CRG, Belgium and CICOPS, Italy.
Thier main activities in the field of conflict transformation are:
- Understanding the logic of conflict and violence in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh
- Debate for Governance – a youth initiative of MGR to promote awareness through debate and discussion.
- Civic Initiative against political violence.
- Challenges of security governance and refugees: http://www.observerbd.com/2016/07/02/159166.php
Last updated: January 2017